Alabama Athletics opens outdoor season strong at Florida Relays/Stanford Invitational
PALO ALTO, Calif./GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Alabama Athletics got the 2022 outdoor season off to a flying start in two meetups across the country on Friday.
At the Stanford Invitational, rookie Victor Kiprop made his college debut in the 10,000 meters, clocking 28:15.72, making him the second-fastest man in Alabama history and third in the nation this season.
At the Florida Relays, Kieran McKeag and Elka Machan earned silver medals in the men’s hammer throw and the women’s 5,000 metres, respectively. McKeag used her career best throw of 69.71 meters to take second place. His pitch propelled him to third all-time at UA. Machan posted a time of 16:33.48 and was the first UA runner(s) to finish in the top 10 of the event.
With Tide’s competition over in Palo Alto, the men’s discus opens the final day of competition in Gainesville on Saturday at 8 a.m. CT.
More day one highlights
- Megan Patton finished fourth in the women’s 5,000 meters with a time of 16:51.66, while Kaylie Crews was seventh at 17:14.34
- Samantha Zelden finished fifth in the women’s javelin with a first throw of 49.47 meters, while Hailey Poole finished ninth with a throw of 46.15 meters
- Poole’s Throw Class 10and of all time in UA
- Carson Burian ran a 9:05.25 in the men’s 3000 meter steeplechase
- Taylor Picket took sixth place in the women’s pole vault after clearing 3.91 meters, which ranks her 10and of all time in UA
- Flomena Asekol finished seventh in the women’s 1,500 meters with a time of 4:18.90, which ranks eighth all-time at UA
- Long Rope finished ninth in the 400-meter hurdles with a career-best time of 51.05, which ranks him 10and of all time in UA
- Alabama returns to action April 8-9 at the Joe Walker Invitational in Oxford, Miss., site of the 2022 Southeastern Conference Outdoor Championships
For all the latest team news, follow AlabamaTrack on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. General sports news can be found @UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.