Brandi Bare slipped handcuffs and tried to flee, police say

MONTPELIER, Ind. – New details have emerged in a Blackford County crash that killed a man and his 5-year-old great-grandson.

Police say Brandi Bare, 46, crashed into a home on E. Blaine Street on June 2, killing 74-year-old Jerry “Jake” Michael and 5-year-old Jenson Reynolds. Two other people were injured, including Jenson’s younger sister and the children’s father. Both were airlifted to a hospital in Indianapolis.

The accident happened while they were gathered on the porch. Police say Bare veered off Main Street, crossed the back yard, crashed into the back of the house and exited through the porch. Investigators believe she was intoxicated.

Bare is charged with two counts each of causing death while impaired driving, reckless homicide and causing grievous bodily harm while impaired driving.

According to the probable cause affidavit filed in the case, an officer responded to the home around 7:50 p.m. on June 2. The officer observed tire tracks in the backyard leading to the house and said the scene was “tense” and chaotic. . People were “running around hysterically”.

The officer saw a maroon Pontiac Grand Prix sitting in the front yard with the airbag deployed and damage to the front. A woman, later identified as Bare, sat in the grass near the passenger side crying and saying she was sorry.

Photos provided by the family

A witness told the officer there was a little boy under the car who might need help. The boy, Jenson, 5, had been crushed under the car, police said.

When firefighters and EMS arrived to check on the boy’s condition, the deputy fire chief asked the officer to contact the coroner’s office. The second victim, Jerry “Jake” Michael, was lying near the house.

The officer told Bare to get up, but she stayed on the ground. The officer picked her up, placed her hands behind her back and handcuffed her before escorting her to her patrol car. The agent could smell an alcoholic drink coming from Bare. According to court documents, his speech was slurred and his eyes were bloodshot.

The officer put her in the back of his car. Shortly after, someone informed the officer that Bare had gotten out of the patrol car and was driving away. The officer noticed that she had slipped from the handcuff on her left wrist.

The officer yelled at Bare to stop, but she ran through a line of trees before the officer caught up to her. She fell to the ground and said “she couldn’t do that”. A Blackford County deputy helped the officer bring her back into custody and put her back in the police cruiser. Bare was “fighting and walking away” the whole time, according to court documents.

She continued to resist and told the officers “she didn’t want to do this”. Police were unable to conduct a field sobriety test due to the chaotic scene and Bare’s uncooperative nature.

Once at the police station, Bare asked for a lawyer and said she would not submit to a blood test. The police got a warrant and took her to the hospital to get one. She resisted nurses’ attempts to take her vital signs, according to court documents, and “had to be held down” for staff to draw her blood. A nurse handed over two vials for testing.

After taking blood, Bare calmed down, the officer said. She was then taken to Blackford County Security Center for treatment.

Court records show Bare was involved in other impaired driving incidents, including a 2012 case in Wells County and another 2014 case in Howard County. The officer wrote that she was considered a habitual vehicular offender, according to the affidavit.

A petition calling for Bare’s bail to be revoked got more than 6,600 signatures as of 12 p.m. Monday.

You may also like...