Chanticleers will face Troy on the road in SBC Play this weekend
CONWAY, South Carolina – The Coastal Carolina baseball team will complete a four-game road trip this weekend, May 13-15, to Troy for a three-game Sun Belt Conference series in Troy, Alabama.
SUN BELT SERIES SCHEDULE
• Friday, May 13 – 7 p.m. ET (WRNN Hot Talk 99.5 FM / ESPN+)
• Saturday, May 14 – 4 p.m. ET (WRNN Hot Talk 99.5 FM / ESPN+)
• Sunday, May 15 – 2 p.m. ET (WRNN Hot Talk 99.5 FM / ESPN+)
HOW TO FOLLOW
• All three Sun Belt conference games will be broadcast live on ESPN+.
• The weekend’s three contests will also be broadcast live on WRNN Hot Talk 99.5 FM.
• Links to live statistics, video and audio coverage of the game can be found on the baseball schedule page at www.GoCCUsports.com.
• Fans can also follow on Twitter at @CoastalBaseball.
ABOUT THE SONGS
• Coastal Carolina enters the SBC series at Troy 29-16-1 overall, 16-7-1 in Sun Belt play and 11-10 on the season in real road competition.
• The Chanticleers have won 13 of their last 16 and 11 of their last 12 conference games with sweeps over Appalachian State (April 14-16) and UTA (April 22-24), a 2-1 series victory over the road in Georgia Southern (April 29-May 1) and a home sweep on Little Rock (May 6-8).
• Coastal are coming off their worst defeat of the season, a 14-2 seven-set road defeat at UNCG (May 11) in midweek.
• Five songs in Tyler Johnson (.385), Eric Brown (.318), Austin White (.303), Dale Thomas (.293), and Kameron Guangorena (.293) all hit over .290 on the season, while six different Chants have 30 or more RBIs on the year.
• The Chants’ pitching staff posted a 4.82 ERA this season and struck out 414 in 398.0 innings while holding opponents to a .259 batting average.
• Troy enters the weekend with a 29-18 record overall and 13-11 in Sun Belt Conference games.
• Although the Trojans have lost four straight games, they are 19-6 overall at home this season at Riddle-Pace Field.
• As a team, the Trojans are hitting .273 with 46 homers, nine triples, 86 doubles, 311 runs scored and 282 RBIs this season.
• Troy has 12 different players with two or more home runs and 11 different players with double-digit RBIs on the season.
• Troy’s pitching staff posted a 4.80 ERA this season with 462 strikeouts in 416.0 innings pitched while walking just 194 batters and holding their opponents to a .261 batting average.
ALL-TIME SERIES HISTORY WITH TROY
• Coastal Carolina and Troy are all tied at 8-8 in the all-time series.
• The series has been one of the streaks of late, as Troy enters the weekend on a four-game winning streak against the Chanticleers dating back to 2019, when before that the Chants had won five straight against the Trojans in 2018-19.
CALL IT EVEN
• Coastal and Troy are even in multiple categories when looking at the all-time series.
• The all-time streak between the Chants and the Trojans is even at 8-8.
• As conference opponents, the series between the two conference teams is 6-6.
• In the last 10 meetings between the two teams, the record is even at 5-5.
• In Troy, the Chants are tied 3-3 all-time.
• In fact, the points scored by both teams over the 16 games are almost identical as Coastal totaled 102 points while Troy scored 98.
• Coastal and Troy have faced six common Sun Belt Conference opponents this season with very different results.
Adversary CCU TROY
against UTA………………………… 3-0-0…………. .. 1-2
vs. Little Rock…………… 3-0-0………….. 1-2
vs ULM…………………. 1-1-1…………. .. 3-0
vs. Arkansas State………. 3-0-0…………… 1-2
vs. Georgia State…………0-3-0…….3-0
vs. Georgia Southern….. 2-1-0………….. 0-3
TOTAL………………………….. 12-5-1………… …… 9 -9
ON THE ROAD IN 2022
• Coastal will complete their road season this week with four consecutive road games at UNCG (May 11) and Troy (May 13-15).
• The Chants are 11-10 on the road this season and have won nine of their last 12 road games.
• After starting the season losing each of their first four road games (0-4), all at North Carolina State, the Chanticleers have won eight of their last 12 road fights, including victories at the time. 20 Clemson (March 22), at the time-No. 9 Texas State (March 26) and three games each at Arkansas State (April 1-3) and Appalachian State (April 14-16).
• The Chants had won six consecutive road games to start April before falling in Charlotte (April 19) midweek.
• CCU got back to winning ways on the road on a Tuesday night (April 26) with a 17-7 win at College of Charleston, then won two of three road games at then-nationally ranked Georgia Southern (April 29). -May 1).
• However, CCU kicked off this latest four-game road trip with a 14-2 loss at UNCG (May 11) on Wednesday midweek.
RESIDENCE. SWEET. RESIDENCE.
• Coastal have benefited from #ThePalace for the first eight games of the season and the month of February.
• After playing four games on the road in the first week of March – at UNCW (March 2) and North Carolina (March 4-6) – the Chanticleers returned home for what turned out to be a seven-game homestand against Wake Forest (March 8), Xavier (March 11-13) and ULM (March 18-20).
• Coastal suffered a three-game home sweep against Georgia State (April 8-10), but recently bounced back to record their own three-game sweep against UTA (April 22-24), posted a 16-1 victory bust against UNCW (May 3) in midweek, then beat the Little Rock Trojans in a three-game sweep (May 6-8) last time out.
• The Chanticleers are 18-6-1 at home this season.
JUST WIN, BABY
• Coastal comes into play this week ranked fourth in the Sun Belt Conference regular season standings with a 16-7-1 record overall and just 3.5 games out of first place with two weekends played remaining conferences.
• The Chanticleers have a 47 RPI with seven games remaining, which is the third highest in the Sun Belt behind Georgia Southern (10) and Texas State (37).
• That said, the Chants control their own conference postseason and NCAA regional destiny simply by winning.
• The top six seeds in the regular season standings will skip the knockout game for the 2022 Guardian Credit Union Sun Belt Conference Baseball Championship Tournament.
SUN BELT CONFERENCE GAME
• The Chanticleers immediately turned heads in the Sun Belt Conference in their first season in the league in 2017, going 22-7-1 in conference to win the Sun Belt Conference East Division Championships and of the Sun Belt Conference regular season.
• Coastal continued to repeat in 2018 and added the Sun Belt Conference Tournament title, posting a 23-7 regular season conference record along the way.
• Despite going 15-13 in conference and finishing fifth in the regular season standings in 2019, the Chanticleers entered the Sun Belt conference tournament to repeat themselves as tournament champions.
• After the 2020 cancellation, the Chants had their worst conference season in more than 25 years in 2021, finishing the conference regular season roster at 9-12 overall.
• This year, CCU is 16-7-1 in Sun Belt Conference play, which includes four Sun Belt Conference series over Arkansas State, Appalachia State, UTA , Little Rock and a road win at nationally ranked Georgia Southern.
PIVOTING LECTURE SERIES
• As the Sun Belt Conference regular season schedule draws to a close, the Chanticleers’ Sun Belt Conference weekend series this weekend in Troy (May 13-15) is crucial.
• Coastal enters the weekend ranked fourth in the regular season conference standings with a 16-7-1 record and 3.5 games out of first place.
• However, the Chants are just 0.5 games from third place and just 1.5 games from second.
• With a series win against Troy this weekend, the Chanticleers could climb to second place in the regular season standings at best, but with a series loss they could drop to fifth.
For complete CCU baseball coverage, follow the Chants on social media @CoastalBaseball (Twitter), facebook.com/CCUChanticleers (Facebook), @GoCCUsports (Instagram), or visit the Official Home of Coastal Carolina Athletics at www.GoCCUsports.com.