Encarnacao, Gannon finish top women’s athletics at Skyhawk Invitational
PHOTOS OF THE SENIORS DAY
Gannon was one of the top two finishers on Saturday afternoon (Photo courtesy: Sports Pix).
EASTON, Mass. (April 30, 2022)- The day the Stonehill women’s athletics team saw 14 top-five finishes was Kaytlin Encarnacao and Casey Ganon which paced the Skyhawks with two first-place finishes. Encarnaco took first place in the 400 meters and Gannon recorded a first place finish in the 400 meters hurdles. Overall for the day, Stonehill finished in third place with 103 points. Only University of Rhode Island (135.5 points) and Holy Cross (231 points) edged the Skyhawks.
It was also Seniors Day where Stonehill honored its eight seniors: Isabelle Angelini, Abigail CreamerCasey Gannon, Jillian Howard, Isabelle Kennedy, Savannah Macaluso, Claire Masonand Krista Stracqualursi.
- Encarnacao clinched its fourth first-place finish in the 400 meters of the season crossing the finish line in 58.20 seconds. Every time it has competed in this event during the outdoor season, Encarnacao has posted a first place finish. His time in the 400 meters is the fifth fastest in the Northeast-10 Conference. Encarnacao also ran in the 200 meters for third place when she set a personal best of 25.97.
- Gannon earned her fourth top three (first two finishes) in the 400-metre hurdles when she crossed the finish line in 1:04.98. Gannon also competed in the 100 meter hurdles with a top 10 (sixth) at 15.25 seconds.
- In the 1,500 metres, Stonehill won three top-10 placings led by Howard’s third place when she set a personal best with a time of 4:42.96. Its solid finish is also the third best in the NE10. Not far behind in fifth place Victoria Lombardi at 4:57.88 and completing the top 10 was Caitlin Swanson in ninth place (5:00.76). Just outside the top 10 was Rebecca Erhard who posted a time of 5:03.02 for 13th place in his first ever appearance at the event.
- For the field events, Angelini notched a second-place finish in the javelin throw when she landed a throw of 35.09 meters. Kaley Enright came a few places back to fifth with a throw of 33.65 yards.
- Stracqualursi competed in three field events and placed in the top 10 in two of the three. In the shoutput, Stracqualursi finished third with a throw of 12.23 meters, then in the discus she found herself sixth (35.07 meters). Stracqualursi concluded his day in the hammer throw by finishing 14th (37.00 meters).
- Creamer was the only Skyhawk in the triple jump and she placed in the top five (fourth) with a jump of 10.44 meters.
- The 100m hurdles saw five runners from Stonehill as well as Gannon claim top 10 spots: Madison Rousseau (fourth-14.69 seconds), Creamer (seventh-15.34 seconds), Macaluso (eighth-15.51 seconds-personal best), and finally Cassidy Becker (10th-15.72 seconds).
- Madison Gunderway continued his strong freshman campaign by setting a new personal best in the hammer throw with a throw of 43.82 meters (seventh). His throw in today’s competition currently ranks in the top five of the NE10 (fourth).
- In the pole vault, Stonehill saw two top-10 finishes in Haley Lightbody and Abigail Larsson who finished fifth (3.05 meters) and eighth (2.90 meters) respectively.
- Stonehill’s 4×100 relay team made up of Macaluso, Rousseau, Ashley Warrenand Encarnacao, earned third place in 48.90 seconds.
- Soraya Mass was the only runner in the 100 meters for Stonehill and she finished sixth with a career best time of 13.03 seconds.
- During the 800 meters, the Skyhawks saw three runners cross the finish line in the top 10 starting with Claire Mason (fourth) at 2:21.43, just behind Mason was Emma Lawrence (fifth) with a time of 2:21.52, and finally Meghan Sambrook (eighth) at 2:23.88.
Stonehill is back in action on Friday, May 6 when the Skyhawks host the NE10 Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
For the latest news on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media at Twitter, Facebook and instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks “Front Row” Mobile App, Powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.