Man shot to death on Manhattan subway

As the Q train crossed the East River on a sunny Sunday morning, with views of the Lower Manhattan skyline shimmering through the windows, a man paced the aisle of the last car.

Dmitry Glivinskiy, a vocal coach who was sitting in the back of the car with headphones on, heard what he thought was a firecracker. He looked up and saw the man standing in the middle of the car, holding a gun.

The shooter had fired a shot – without provocation – hitting Daniel Enriquez, 48, in the chest and killing him, police said later.

As other passengers scrambled to the ends of the car and huddled together, Mr Glivinskiy, 34, called 911.

“At this point you’re just kind of stuck,” he said on Sunday afternoon. “You don’t know what you’re supposed to do. And you hope for the best.

When the train pulled into Canal Street, the gunman fled just as police flooded the station, responding to the latest in a string of highly visible random attacks on the Tube that have shaken the confidence of New York in the system vital to its life and economy.

The Q train attack comes after the mass shooting last month on the N train that left at least 23 people injured and a woman stampeded to death in the Times Square station in January.

The violent episodes present a huge hurdle for Mayor Eric Adams, who faces an increasingly impatient public as he struggles to contain the violence on the streets and subways to deliver on his campaign’s central promise.

He owns sought to reassure the runners by removing the homeless living in the subways and placing hundreds of additional police officers in the system.

Murders are rare on the city’s buses and subways. Three people have been killed on the transit system this year, up from four this time last year, according to the most recent police statistics. And major crime on buses and subways is only 2% of overall urban crime, the same level as before the pandemic, although traffic is 40% lower.

The mayor, who has urged New Yorkers to get back to public transit and offices to revive the city’s economy, lamented the “horrible” crime on Sunday and vowed the shooter would be arrested. He said his administration would continue to bolster police presence in subways. “What the goal is, and what we’re going to continue to do, is police presence everywhere,” he said.

Mr. Enriquez, of Brooklyn, was shot in the chest around 11:40 a.m. as the train traveled from downtown Brooklyn to lower Manhattan, according to the police department.

At a press conference inside the Canal Street station, Kenneth Corey, the head of the department, said there was no interaction between the victim and her attacker before the shooting.

“According to witnesses, the suspect was riding back and forth in the same train car and, without provocation, pulled out a gun and shot the victim at close range as the train crossed the Manhattan Bridge, the official said. Chief Corey.

Police and emergency medical technicians attempted to resuscitate the victim after the train pulled into Canal Street station, but he died at Bellevue Hospital, police said. No one else was injured, according to Chief Corey.

The assailant fled into the street and was not caught, police said. He was described as a dark-skinned, burly man with a beard, wearing a dark sweatshirt, orange t-shirt, gray sweatpants and white sneakers.

Chief Corey said investigators are reviewing video footage from Metropolitan Transportation Authority surveillance cameras. He asked for the public’s help in locating the shooter.

The shooting took place just under six weeks after the N train attack in Brooklyn, in which 10 people were shot and at least 13 others injured – but none were killed – in the worst attack ever. subway for decades. Frank R. James, 62, was arrested on federal terrorism charges after leading authorities on a 30-hour manhunt.

In January, Michelle Go, 40, was pushed in front of a train and killed in an attack she never saw coming. The suspect, Simon Martial, was mentally ill and homeless and was deemed unfit to stand trial.

After Sunday’s shooting, Governor Kathy Hochul said on Twitter that her office was working with the transit authority and offered to assist police during the investigation.

“My heart breaks for the victim’s family,” she said. “Everyone deserves to feel safe in our subways. “I will continue to fight to make this a reality.”

On Sunday afternoon, the train in which the shooting occurred was still at a standstill at Canal Street station. Three uniformed police officers guarded the last car, which was partitioned off with yellow police tape stretched between the handrails.

K. Arsenault Rivera, 30, an author, said she was on the train, heading to Penn Station, where she planned to go to a friend’s baby shower in New Jersey.

When the train pulled into Canal Street, she said there was tension in the air. She realized something was wrong when people started getting off the train. Rumors of a gun sighting reached his car as people stood in the doorway filming with their phones.

Then a man came running from the back of the train with his fingers to his temple, she said. He said someone had been shot in the last carriage and urged his fellow passengers to leave the train.

Officers quickly ran down the stairs, yelling at passengers to get away from the train, Ms Arsenault Rivera said, and she “reserved” the steps and took a taxi home.

“It’s pretty heartbreaking,” she said. “If I had come to any other point, I would have been there.”

Matthew Chavan, 32, of Brooklyn, said he was on the train heading to brunch with a companion. He was sitting in the third carriage from the front of the train when he noticed people getting off the train at Canal Street suddenly stop. There were screams and people started running for the exits, he said.

The car he was in began to empty, and he and his companion ran down the street.

“We were asked what was going on, and my answer was: people don’t run for no reason,” he said.

Mr Chavan blamed the erosion of security on a focus on police tactics which he says have failed to stem the tide of violence. He said he feared what would happen when the Supreme Court rules on a case challenging New York’s law limiting who can carry guns in public. Gun rights activists challenging the law, one of the toughest in the nation, have argued that it violates the Second Amendment’s right to bear arms. Mr. Chavan shares the fears of many elected Democrats in the city who predict that a Supreme Court decision to strike down the law would lead to an increase in gun violence.

Around Canal Street station on Sunday afternoon, New Yorkers who learned they couldn’t take the Q line because of the shooting reacted with slumped shoulders, nods and gasps.

Yanni Reed, who works in radio promotion, was turned away from her usual subway entrance by a gang of police and an officer. She said the news made her “paranoid” about taking the subway.

“Wow, another shooting, that’s crazy,” she said. “It’s too much – we can’t be insensitive to that.”

Marcello Leone, 65, a barista in Little Italy, said the news made him more determined to stay alert on the subway.

“Keep your eyes open, don’t sleep,” he said.

Nate Schweber contributed report.

You may also like...