NE Redmond residents angered by overnight alert of ‘armed and dangerous’ fugitive still at large

(Update: Added video, comments from DSCO, resident)

Despite her concern, a resident says she is happy to have received the warning

REDMOND, Ore. (KTVZ) – About 2,000 residents of northeast Redmond received an emergency alert late Wednesday evening that police were looking for a fugitive who fled a traffic stop and “who may be armed and dangerous”. Despite an extensive search, the man had not been found by Thursday afternoon, authorities said.

Shortly before 11 p.m. Wednesday, a Deschutes County sheriff’s deputy attempted to arrest the driver of a 1994 Toyota Camry in the Northeast Fifth Street and Maple Lane area of ​​Redmond for failing to maintain his lane of traffic, a said Sergeant Jayson Janes.

The driver, identified as Braxton Michael Monson, 36, refused to stop and the deputy chased the car for a short distance before losing sight of it, Janes said.

As the deputy was driving through the area, the Camry pulled out in front of him, so the deputy again tried to stop the car, at which point Monson pulled over, got out and ran, said the sergeant,

The deputy and local residents then heard what they believed to be gunshots in the area where Monson fled, Janes said.

“At this time, we have no reports of any injuries or damage caused by gunfire in this area, or we have not been able to confirm that there were actual gunshots in this area. area, the sergeant said in a news release.

A thorough search of the area, using K-9 teams and drones, was unsuccessful, Janes said.

Jessica Rasmussen lives near Fifth Street and was home watching her children while her husband was out of town.

“Well, being a mom of two young kids is obviously a bit scary,” Rasmussen said Thursday.

Redmond Police sent an initial emergency text alert to 1,802 contacts in the area around 11:15 p.m., saying police were “searching the area for a male suspect who may be armed and dangerous.” Please stay indoors. Do not contact anyone you don’t know” and call 911 if anything suspicious is seen.

At around 2:15 a.m., the sheriff’s office sent another alert to 1,998 contacts, saying they were continuing to search for the wanted man in northeast Redmond. Another alert sent shortly after 7 a.m. Thursday said the active search was over, with the suspect still pending.

“Usually when we have someone running away from us, we don’t want extra people in their yard or outside where we’re looking for someone,” Janes said, “We also don’t want them there are opportunities for this person to be able to enter someone’s home.

Janes said the sheriff’s office is asking for the public’s help in locating Monson, who was last seen wearing dark jeans and a hoodie. He has a dark colored flower tattoo on his neck and various tattoos on his arms. Two booking photos have been released which Janes says show him with a longer beard than he currently has.

“It’s possible Monson is armed, so don’t try to contact him,” Janes wrote. “Monson is known to frequent the Prineville and Madras area. If you see Monson or know his location, please call 911 immediately.

A Fifth Street resident who chose not to speak on camera said he believed Monson broke his fence while fleeing Wednesday night.

For Rasmussen, it’s something she’s never experienced in her four years at Redmond.

“I mean, maybe we hear something ourselves and get paranoid, of course,” she said. “But I’ve already been contacted by the police department and the sheriff’s (office).”

Rasmussen said she would rather have the notifications, whether vague or not, than not receive them.

“No, I would prefer to have it, of course,” Rasmussen said. “Because if I didn’t know, I might not have double-checked all my locks or made sure my cameras were working.”

Rasmussen said she was happy to be informed, but acted with extra caution.

“I had this weird thought like, ‘What if he’s hanging around, this person, and he sees an empty vehicle that’s started — he might just get in and take it,'” Rasmussen said. “Like, I just don’t know what exactly is going on with the guy they’re looking for, what he did, whether he’s armed or not – I don’t know.”

Janes said Monson had a national warrant for a probation violation.

The sheriff’s office was assisted by the Redmond Police Department and the Oregon State Police.

In 2017, KTVZ reported that a federal judge sentenced the Redmond resident to nearly seven years in federal prison for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

He was arrested in 2014 in Redmond in possession of an AR-15 rifle, ammunition, drugs, scales and cash, according to court documents. Federal prosecutors said he had previous convictions for assault and delivery of methamphetamine.

In 2013, Bend police said he fled a traffic stop and led officers on a high-speed chase in northeast Bend, abandoned his car and attempted to flee from police. He was found by a K-9 team while hiding in the garden of a house, they said.

You may also like...