The Heels win a suspended match against the Wolfpack
The game was suspended Friday night in the top of the fifth inning with a tie at 1-1 and Horvath at second base with one out.
The Diamond Heels (26-17, 9-13 ACC) scored five times in the sixth inning to open a 7-3 lead as Vance Honeycutt led the frame with a solo home run and Hunter Stokely blasted a 3-run homer with two out. Tomas Frick doubled in the corner two batters later, tackling Johnny Castagnozzi from the first goal to crown the explosion.
NC State (29-14, 11-10) fought back to tie the game in the seventh when Noah Soles doubled up the left field wall with a deuce to lead JT Jarrett.
Senior Gillian Gage (2-3) took the mound late in the eighth and retired all three men he faced to give UNC the opportunity to move forward in the ninth.
With a one-point lead, Gillian came back for ninth and seated the field to claim her first win since February. He allowed one hit with a pair of strikeouts in 2.0 innings pitched.
Justin Lawson (4-2) took the loss, giving up four runs on three hits in 3.0 innings pitched.
• Danny Seretti extended his career-long hitting streak to 17 games with a first-inning single.
• Honeycutt hit his 11th homer of the season and his first since the last game of the Georgia Tech series.
• Stokely hit his third home run in four career games against NC State.
• Angel Zarate recorded his first hat-trick of the season and collected his fourth three-hit game of the season.
• Gillian recorded her first victory since March 5, 2022 against Coastal Carolina.
• Shawn Rapp made his NCAA-leading 33rd appearance of the season.
HOW DID IT HAPPEN
• Horvath scored on a defensive choice in the top of the first inning (UNC 1, NCSU 0).
• Tommy White singled to left field to tackle Payton Green late in the third (UNC 1, NCSU 1).
• Horvath ran home on a ball returned to the pitcher that wasn’t properly fielded in fifth (UNC 2, NCSU 1).
• LuJames Groover chose the midfielder late in the fifth to hit from two points (NCSU 3, UNC 2).
• Honeycutt starts the sixth inning with a home run (UNC 3, NCSU 3).
• Stokely hits a three-run homer in the top of the sixth inning and Castagnozzi scores first on a brace from Frick (UNC 7, NCSU 3).
• Noah Soles scored on a wild pitch, Eddie Eisert on and Devonte Brown on an error late in the sixth (UNC 7, NCSU 6).
• Soles doubled up the left field wall to sink JT Jarrett in the bottom of the seventh (UNC 7, NCSU 7).
• Horvath lifted a sacrificial fly to score Reece Holbrook at the top of the ninth (UNC 8, NCSU 7).
North Carolina and NC State are scheduled to play Game 2 of the series Saturday night.